Sometimes manufacturers like to put most of their eggs in one basket. For example: Kawasaki has an awesome motocross model lineup, but there are no real comparable 250 or 450 cross-country or trail bike models to select from. Husqvarna (and KTM for that matter) is different because the company builds bikes for not only the avid motocrosser, but for the hardcore off-roader, too. And like the Husqvarna MX bikes, the cross-country bikes share all the same high-end componentry, though they’re tuned a little differently.
The 2019 Husqvarna cross-country model lineup doesn’t take a backseat to its track-focused siblings and has received all the same love and updates – there’s no favoritism here. These off-road models are essentially high-performing motocrossers with slightly softened suspension and trail-specific dampening, 18-inch rear wheels (instead of 19), larger fuel tanks for extended range, wider ratio 6-speed transmissions and hand guards. There’s virtually no where these bikes can’t go, as evidenced by Graham Jarvis, multi-time enduro world champion and Erzberg Rodeo winner, and many other top professional and amateur riders alike.
Husqvarna is out for blood and is asserting itself as one of the top, if not the premier off-road manufacturer in the industry. Husqvarna spells it all out below.
Click here for all the specs.
CROSS COUNTRY 2019
Husqvarna Motorcycles’ cross country line-up, consisting of three premium FX and TX models, combines cutting-edge technology with Swedish-inspired design, offering class-leading performance across the range. With extensive in-house testing, Husqvarna Motorcycles’ engineers designed the new generation of cross country machines with the ultimate goal of making them more agile, more ergonomically advanced and with greater overall performance than any previous generation.
Husqvarna MY19 in one paragraph
For model year 2019, Husqvarna Motorcycles proudly introduces a new generation of premium FX and TX models, which represent the next step in the historic brand’s cross country range. Standing out among a long list of upgrades is the all-new blue coated frame that offers increased rigidity for improved rider feedback and stability. With all models receiving a series of engine upgrades, the flagship FX 450 has a redesigned cylinder head that reduces the engine’s weight by 500 g. Showcasing Husqvarna Motorcycles’ pioneering design direction in the competition bike segment, a fresh new bodywork design offers advanced ergonomics for optimum comfort and control.
What’s New For Model Year 2019
- Redesigned bodywork and graphics
- Blue coated frame featuring increased rigidity
- New 2-piece subframe design (250 g lighter)
- Updated setting on the WP AER 48 forks
- WP DCC shock featuring new piston & updated setting
- Reworked SOHC cylinder head on the FX 450 (500 g lighter)
- New cylinder head casting on FX 350 (200 g lighter)
- New muffler on TX 300
- Chain adjustment length increased by 5 mm
- New, stiffer upper triple clamp
- Traction & launch control with updated settings [4-strokes]
- New throttle cable routing for easier maintenance
- Flow-designed resonance chambers & more compact silencers on 4-strokes
- New generation Li-ion 2.0 Ah battery
- Updated cooling system with new center tube
- New DS (diaphragm steel) clutch on FX 350
- ProTaper handlebar with new bend
- Laser engraved D.I.D. wheels with new spoke nipples
- New gearboxes produced by Pankl
FEATURES AND BENEFITS CROSS COUNTRY MY 2019 – CHASSIS
The hydro-formed, laser-cut and robot-welded frame is expertly crafted. Constructed with specifically calculated parameters of longitudinal and torsional flex, the MY19 frames feature newly designed sections that bring an increase in rigidity. This results in improved rider feedback, energy absorption and stability. New aluminum lateral engine head stays contribute to precise cornering and reduced vibration levels. Additionally, the 4-stroke frames feature new precision-casted head stay mounts and brackets for mounting an optional skid plate that will be available in the accessories line. The frame is finished off in a premium blue powder coating and standard frame protectors that guarantee superior protection and durability.
- Increased rigidity → improved rider feedback, energy absorption & stability
- Premium blue powder coating
- 4-strokes with new brackets for optional skid plate
- Standard frame protectors
Composite carbon fiber subframe
Showcasing pioneering technologies and innovation, the composite subframe is a design unique to Husqvarna Motorcycles. Using 70% polyamide and 30% carbon fiber, the new 2-piece subframe design (previously 3-piece) saves 250 g for a total weight of just over 1 kg (2.2 lbs). In addition to being robust, specific care has been taken to create the perfect rigidity (vertical stiffness +30%) for optimal handling and rider comfort.
- New 2-piece subframe → 250 g lighter
- Carbon fiber composite construction → lightweight & robust
- Specific rigidity → benefits handling & comfort
The hollow, cast aluminum swingarm is designed to offer optimal stiffness and reliability at the lowest possible weight. For MY19, the chain adjustment slot has increased by 5 mm, extending the total wheelbase adjustment length for improved straight-line stability on faster tracks and over whoops.
- Optimal stiffness & reliability in a lightweight construction
- Extended adjustment range by 5 mm → improved straight-line stability
WP AER 48 front forks
The ultra-lightweight WP AER 48 front fork is a 48 mm split air fork featuring a capsuled air spring and pressurized oil chamber for progressive and consistent damping. The forks feature a new setting to match the new frame stiffness and are adjusted via the single air pressure valve for pre-load on the left and with easy-access clickers for damping adjustments on the right (compression on the top and rebound on the bottom, up to 30 clicks each). Additionally, the air pump needed to adjust the air pressure in the fork is provided as standard.
- Precision engineering, quality materials & advanced production processes guarantee highest performance levels
- New setting for MY19 → improved damping & performance
- Capsuled air spring and pressurized oil chamber → progressive & consistent damping
- Easy access clicker dials → simple & fast clicker setting
CNC machined triple clamps
The 22 mm offset CNC-machined triple clamps feature an integrated rubber damping system that reduces vibration and increases rider comfort. They have been reshaped and stiffened to work in concert with the increased longitudinal rigidity of the frame and the new suspension set-up, improving both handling and stability. A three-way handlebar adjustment is standard and allows for customizable ergonomics. Additionally, the front number plate integrates a yellow triple clamp guard, which covers the lower triple clamp and protects it from wear.
- Rubber damping on top clamp → reduced vibrations, increased comfort
- CNC aluminum → finest quality & reliability
- Stiffer upper triple clamp
- Adjustable handlebar position → adjustable ergonomics
- Triple clamp protector integrated into front number plate
WP rear shock
Featuring a new main piston and updated settings, the WP DCC shock has been developed to match the linkage system, frame geometry, increased frame rigidity and the new front fork set-up. The shock has been further perfected to provide advanced damping characteristics while keeping a compact and lightweight design. With a pressure balance inside the shock, offering consistent damping, and full adjustability of both high and low speed compression, the system offers the greatest possible traction and absorption and superior rider comfort and handling. Further, the rear wheel travel is 300 mm.
- New main piston & setting → balanced with new front-end set-up & frame rigidity
- Lightweight & compact
- Pressure balance → consistent damping
- 300 mm wheel travel
The Husqvarna Motorcycles frame features an innovative, self -cleaning footpeg mount which prevents the build-up of dirt collected through deep ruts or muddy terrain. As a result, the footpeg will spring back into its original position even in the toughest conditions.
- Footpeg mount → prevents mud and dirt build-up allowing footpeg to spring back into position
- Large footpegs → perfect grip and control
Magura hydraulic clutch
The reliable, high-quality, German-made clutch system guarantees even wear, near maintenance-free operation and perfect action in every condition. With the play being constantly adjusted, the pressure point and function of the clutch remain identical in cold or hot conditions and over time.
- Magura hydraulic clutch → perfect action in every condition
- High quality German craftsmanship → very reliable, consistent clutch action
The Magura braking system offers the highest level of braking performance while specifically tailored to deliver a sensitive and modulated feel. The 260mm front and 220mm rear waved brake discs keep weight to a minimum and offer complete braking confidence.
- Magura brake calipers and high-performance waved discs → superior stopping power with unsurpassed sensitivity and modulation
The ProTaper handlebar is second to none for function and style. Manufactured to exacting standards, it features class-leading fatigue resistance while adding minimal weight. A new bend for all MY19 models further increases comfort by improving the pressure point on the rider’s hands. The standard handguards offer maximum roost protection.
- ProTaper handlebar → class-leading function & style
- New bend for MY19 → improved rider comfort
Grips and throttle assembly
The ODI lock-on grip on the left side does not require gluing, while on the right, the vulcanized grip features an innovative integrated throttle mechanism. The assembly has easy free-play adjustment and, by changing a cam, throttle progression can be altered.
- Throttle assembly and ODI grips → easily alter throttle progression; easy grip mounting without glue
Map switch, launch control
Designed for easy operation, the standard map switch on all 4-strokes activates launch control, selects between two engine maps and activates the traction control feature. Both traction control and launch control feature updated settings for MY19. These offer improved traction off the start and on slick tracks and work simultaneously – when launch control is activated – to offer maximized benefits. With the engine at idle, launch control is engaged by pressing both TC and MAP buttons simultaneously for about two seconds. The LED lamp will blink continuously meaning the system is active. This function limits the amount of power to the rear wheel, improving traction and preventing loss of control under hard acceleration. The map switch offers selection between a standard map and more powerful one.
- Standard handlebar map switch → modify engine characteristics according to conditions & rider preference
- Launch control → maximum traction for perfect starts
Traction control can be selected to an on or off position from the handlebar map switch and functions by analyzing throttle input from the rider and the rate at which RPM increase in the engine. If the RPM increase too quickly the EMS will register a loss of grip and reduce the amount of power to the rear wheel, for maximum traction. This can be a distinct advantage in wet or muddy conditions.
- Traction control → optimal traction in all conditions
Engine management system (EMS)
The Keihin EMS is specifically designed to be smaller, lighter and faster at processing data. It integrates launch control for perfect starts, selectable engine maps via the switch on the handlebar as well as traction control. Combined with the new gear sensor, power delivery is tailored for each gear.
- Keihin EMS → smaller, lighter and faster at processing engine data for more efficient engine management
- Gear sensor → specific engine maps for each gear
44 mm throttle body
All MY19 FC machines are equipped with a 44 mm Keihin throttle body featuring an innovative injector positioning that offers the most efficient flow into the combustion chamber and improved atomization. To ensure optimal throttle response, the throttle cable is mounted directly and without a throttle linkage. This set-up provides more immediate throttle response and feeling. A new throttle cable routing eases maintenance allowing the cable to be removed more easily.
- 44 mm throttle body → injector positioned for optimal flow
- Direct cable mounting → more immediate throttle response
All 4-stroke exhaust systems are expertly crafter to deliver the best possible performance at the lowest possible weight. For MY19 the 4-stroke header pipes feature a new flow designed resonance chamber integrated within them. The new header pipes also feature a new joining position allowing them to be removed without detaching the rear shock. The new silencers are shorter and more compact while delivering the same damping volume and noise levels. The units are crafted from lightweight aluminum and are stylishly finished off with a new anodized coating that proudly carries the Husqvarna Motorcycles logo. All 2-stroke mufflers feature new internals with less dense packing material offering more efficient noise damping. Together with a new aluminum mounting bracket, there is a weight saving of 300 g.
- 4-stroke exhausts → light-weight & compact
- Flow designed resonance chamber → optimal performance
- New header joining position → easier removal
- 2-stoke exhausts → 300 g lighter
Integrated cooling system and radiators
The radiators are expertly crafted using high-strength aluminum. CFD (computational fluid dynamics) technology is used to channel air through the radiators more efficiently for optimal cooling in any condition. Channeling coolant through the frame allows for improved cooling and eliminates the need for additional hoses. New to the system for MY19 is a 4 mm larger center tube that runs through the frame. The new tube reduces the pressure at this point in the system allowing for a more consistent coolant flow. Additionally, the radiators are mounted 12 mm lower, improving the center of gravity while sophisticated radiator protectors not only protect the radiators from flying debris but also act as a brace in the event of an impact.
- Integrated cooling → maximum efficiency in minimum space
- Expertly crafted radiators → offering optimal cooling
- New central tube → more consistent coolant flow
- 12 mm lower mounting position → improved center of gravity
Airbox and tool-less air filter access
The airbox is designed with precisely positioned inlet ducts to prevent air deformation, ensuring maximum airflow and filter protection. The air filter is easily accessed, without tools, by removing the left side panel. Easy maintenance is guaranteed with the Twin Air filter and filter cage design that features a simple fail proof mounting system for easy and accurate filter installation.
- Airbox → maximum air flow and filter protection
- Filter mounting system → easy and accurate installation
- Tool-less filter access → easy and fast maintenance
Black high-strength alloy rims by D.I.D. are coupled with CNC-machined hubs using lightweight spokes and silver anodized aluminum nipples. For MY19, the spoke nipples have a new design that reduces the frequency of checks or tightening.
- Lightweight but strong and reliable construction → minimum unsprung weight
- New spoke nipples → reduce frequency of tightening
Dunlop Geomax tires are fitted as standard with an 18-inch rear sizing for off-road performance.
- Developed in top-level off-road racing → enhanced all-round performance
The polythene fuel tanks feature improved ergonomics and incorporate a threaded filler cap and an integrated fuel pump on the 4-stroke range. The fuel pump is optimized with a new internal line routing from the pump to the flange for improved fuel flow. For MY19, the external fuel line has moved inward and is less exposed and susceptible to damage.
- 25 gallon polythene 4-stroke fuel tank → large capacity for extended running times
- 64 gallon polythene 2-stroke fuel tank → large capacity for extended running times
The MY19 range features fresh new bodywork that showcases Husqvarna Motorcycles’ pioneering design direction in off-road motorcycles. The ergonomics are specifically designed to deliver greater comfort and control, enabling riders to perform at the highest level for extended periods of time. Additionally, the contact points have been slimmed down making movement between riding positions seamless. The new seat profile is perfectly combined with the high grip seat cover to deliver superior comfort and control in all conditions.
- New bodywork → Swedish-inspired look, modern design & graphics
- Ergonomics → confidence-inspiring riding position in all riding situations
- Seat → improved comfort with superior control in all conditions
TECHNICAL INFORMATION BY MODEL
The 349.7cc DOHC engine weighs in at only 27.2 kg (59.9 lbs). The engine is specifically designed with performance, weight and mass centralization as key criteria. As a result, all shaft arrangements have been positioned to allow oscillating masses to occupy the ideal center of gravity while all parts are engineered to offer the best possible performance while adding the least possible weight.
- Performance, weight, mass centralization → just 27.2 kg (59.9 lbs)
- Shaft arrangements → oscillating masses at ideal center of gravity
The FX 350 features updated casting on the cylinder head for a weight saving of 200 g. The internals feature polished camshafts and DLC coated finger followers resulting in minimal friction and unsurpassed overall performance. Added to the design are larger titanium valves (36.3 mm intake and 29.1 mm exhaust) which allow the engine to rev freely to the 13,400 rpm ceiling.
- Updated casting → reduced weight by 200 g
- Large titanium valves →3 mm intake and 29.1 mm exhaust
- Polished camshafts, Finger followers with DLC coating → reduced friction, better performance
Cylinder and piston
The 88mm bore and 57.5mm stroke cylinder features a large diameter and lightweight forged bridged-box-type piston by CP. As a result, the relatively low oscillating masses deliver exceptional power, high revs and a very wide power band. The compression ratio is 14:1.
- Lightweight 88mm diameter piston → reduces oscillating masses
- Forged bridged-box-type piston → high performance and reliability
A top-quality crankshaft is at the heart of the high output, high-revving FX 350 engine. The plain big end bearing features two force-fitted bearing shells to ensure maximum reliability and durability, guaranteeing long service intervals.
- Plain big end bearing → increased durability and service intervals
The FX 350 features an engine design with mass-centralization and weight reduction as the main goals. All the major components have been positioned to achieve the best possible center of gravity. As a result, the motorcycle benefits from superb handling while ensuring a light and compact engine design. High-pressure die-cast production processes keep the overall weight to a minimum, resulting in a thin wall thickness while retaining reliability. The iconic Husqvarna logo adorns the bronze finished crankcase covers.
- Crankcases → mass-centralization
- High pressure die-cast production process → thin walls for reduced weight, while maintaining strength
Produced by Pankl racing systems, the compact 6-speed semi-close gearbox features a low-friction coating on the shifting fork, ensuring smooth and precise shifting. The gear lever features a design that prevents dirt build-up for easy operation in the toughest conditions. An advanced gear sensor allows for specific engine maps in each gear.
- Pankl 6-speed gearbox → smooth and precise shifting
- Integrated gear sensor → specific engine maps for each gear
The FX 350 features a new DS (Diaphragm Steel) clutch saving 190 g. The exclusive characteristics of this system include a single diaphragm steel pressure plate instead of traditional coil springs. The clutch basket is a single-piece CNC machined steel component that allows the use of thin steel liners and contributes to the compact design of the engine.
- DS clutch → lighter with better modulation and improved durability
The SOHC engine is the perfect example of the advanced engineering techniques used by Husqvarna Motorcycles. It offers an overall weight of just 60.1 lbs (27.3 kg). Mass-centralization is key in the engine design, enabling chassis engineers to position the engine closer to the center of gravity for greatly improved handling and maneuverability.
- Mass centralization → improved handling and reliability
- Performance → only 60.1 lbs
The new SOHC cylinder head is now even more compact while being 15mm lower and 500g lighter. As a result of the more compact design, the camshaft is now closer to the center of gravity, significantly improving handling, while shorter valve timing improves bottom end performance and responsiveness. The new camshaft features an improved cam surface and actuates four lightweight titanium valves. The diameter of the intake valves is 40 mm, while on the exhaust it is 33 mm. Low-friction DLC coating on the rocker arm and low-friction chain guides offer the optimum efficiency and reliability.
- New SOHC → more compact design, camshaft closer to center of gravity, -500 g
- New camshaft → improved cam surface
- DLC coating & optimized chain guides → reduced friction
Cylinder and piston
The lightweight aluminum cylinder is an engineering masterpiece. Featuring a 95 mm bore and a CP bridge-box-type piston which weighs only 320g. The compression ratio is 12.75:1 for an impressive peak output.
- Lightweight aluminum cylinder → 95 mm bore
- Lightweight CP forged bridged-box-type piston → high performance, reduced oscillating masses
The inertia produced by the crankshaft is carefully calculated to deliver optimal traction and ride-ability from the powerful 449.9cc plant. The crankshaft is specifically positioned to harness the rotating mass in the ideal center of gravity, resulting in a lightweight and agile handling feel. A plain big end bearing comprised of two force-fitted bearing shells ensure maximum reliability and durability, guaranteeing long service intervals.
- Crankshaft position → ideal center of gravity, improved handling
- Plain big end bearing and force-fitted bearing shells → increased durability and service intervals
The crankcases are designed to house the shaft arrangements and internals of the engine in the position that offers the best possible handling. Additionally, the position of the clutch shaft keeps the clutch above the oil level resulting in decreased friction and increased efficiency. High-pressure die-cast production processes keep the overall weight to a minimum, resulting in thin wall thickness while retaining reliability.
- Design → optimized mass-centralization, increased efficiency
- High pressure die-cast production process → thin walls for reduced weight, while maintaining strength
The lightweight 5-speed gearbox is now produced by Pankl racing systems and has a low-friction coating on the shifting fork guaranteeing smooth and precise shifting. The gear lever features a design that prevents dirt build-up and keeps the lever tip in its original position even in the toughest conditions. An advanced gear sensor allows for specific engine maps in each gear.
- Pankl 5-speed gearbox → smooth and precise shifting
- Integrated gear sensor → specific engine maps for each gear
The FX 450 features a DDS (Dampened Diaphragm Steel) clutch. The exclusive characteristics of this system include a single diaphragm steel pressure plate instead of traditional coil springs. It integrates a damping system for better traction and durability. The clutch basket is a single-piece CNC-machined steel component that allows the use of thin steel liners and contributes to the compact design of the engine.
- DDS clutch → lighter with better modulation and improved durability
The 293.2cc 2-stroke engine is the benchmark in unrivaled power in a lightweight construction. The engine features precisely positioned shaft arrangements for optimal mass centralization, a counter balancer shaft reducing vibration, a twin-valve controlled power valve and 6-speed gearbox. The TX 300 engine features the latest 2-stroke technology aimed at the highest level of performance.
The 72 mm bore cylinder features an innovative power valve system that delivers a smooth and controlled power throughout the RPM range. This can be further customized by simply changing two springs supplied, altering the power delivery for different track conditions and rider preference.
- Cylinder and power valve → Smooth and controllable power delivery that can be customized
The TX 300 engine is designed with mass centralization as a key design feature. As a result the lightweight, die-cast engine casings are developed to house the shaft arrangements in the perfect position, centralizing oscillating mass and improving ride-ability.
- Engine casings → shaft arrangements positioned for mass centralization
- New engine covers → better resistance to wear
Counter balancer shaft
The TX 300 features a laterally mounted counter balancer shaft. This shaft significantly reduces vibrations resulting in a smoother, more comfortable ride with less rider fatigue.
- Counter balancer shaft → significantly reduced vibration
The TX 300 features a 38 mm flat slide Mikuni TMX carburetor. The carburetor provides a smooth and controllable power delivery with optimal performance over the entire RPM range.
- 38mm Mikuni carburetor → optimal performance
The TX 300 features a 6-speed semi-close gearbox with cross country specific ratios. Additionally, precise and easy shifting is guaranteed thanks to the no-dirt shift lever, which prevents the build-up of dirt from blocking the step plate in the toughest conditions.
- 6-speed gearbox → precise and easy shifting
- No-dirt gear lever → prevents dirt build up and blockage
The TX 300 features a DDS (Damped Diaphragm Steel) clutch, which uses a diaphragm spring instead of the more common coil spring design, allowing for a much lighter clutch action. This design also allows for a damping system that increases both traction and durability. This combined with the Magura hydraulic system guarantees a light and modular clutch feeling, which is almost maintenance and adjustment free.
- DDS clutch → light action with integrated damping system, increased traction and reliability
- Magura hydraulic system → light and modular clutch action, almost maintenance free